06 Feb 2018
Have you always stuck out like a sore thumb during festive gatherings? Work your magic during this festive period by arming yourself with some handy knowledge on what to do during Lunar New Year gatherings.
This month, Chinese people from all over the world are getting busy and excited preparing for the Lunar New Year, which falls on 16 February. Savoury “bak kwa”, sweet and buttery “love letters” and an array of special home-made dishes, are great complements to the warmth and good cheer during family get-togethers. These are all part of what makes this festival something that we truly look forward to yearly.
So, what should you do when you go visiting?
1. Fish – 年年有余 “Nian nian you yu” (Abundance throughout the year)
2. Pomelo – 大吉大利 “Da Ji Da Li” (Good luck & great prosperity)
3. Pepper & Cinnamon – 招财进宝 “Zhao Cai Jin Bao” (May you attract wealth & treasures)
4. Oil – 财源广进 “Cai Yuan Guang Jin” (May you have many sources of wealth)
5. Carrots – 鸿运当头 “Hong Yun Dang Tou” (Good luck is approaching)
6. Green Radish – 青春常驻 “Qing Chun Chang Zhu” (May you be forever young)
7. White Radish – 步步高升 “Bu Bu Gao Sheng” (May you rise steadily in your career)
8. Peanuts – 金银满屋 “Jin Yin Man Wu” (May your house be filled with gold & silver)
9. Sesame Seeds – 生意兴隆 “Sheng Yi Xing Long” (Wishing you prosperity for your business)
10. Golden Crackers – 遍地黄金 “Bian Di Huang Jin” (May your place be covered with gold)
11. Plum Sauce – 甜甜蜜蜜 “Tian Tian Mi Mi” (Sweet & Loving always)
12. Yusheng – 发啊! “Huat Ah!” (Prosper!)
Now, you can beam with pride and bask in the glory of being the perfect guest at this year’s Chinese New Year celebrations! And, your host is sure to invite you again the following year!
For more quick tips, Like and Follow us on our Facebook page to be notified of the latest Mind Stretcher blog posts.